Friday, December 5, 2014

Easy Come, Easy Go

Hi friends! I decided to try out the blogger app for my iPhone. We'll see how this works. 

I had a job interview today. Nowhere fancy; it was at Radio Shack. Hashtag a job is a job. But I digress.

Earlier this week, I went to quite a few local businesses inquiring about work, picking up applications, etc. I stopped in at Radio Shack. I asked to speak with the manager and when he came out, I handed him a copy of my resume and references and asked him if they were hiring. He asked me what experience I had and what I was looking for. I told him. He seemed interested in meeting with me. Yay! 

He asked me if I would fill out an application online, take a few tests, and call him on Wednesday. I said I would and left posthaste to head to a wifi spot, so I could tackle the application and tests. 

Wednesday rolled around and I called the number he gave me early in the afternoon. "Oh he's not here yet.  He doesn't come in until 4." Ooookay. I guess I'm calling back. So, when 4 rolled around, I called back and spoke with the manager again. I reminded him of who I was and that we had spoken. He seemed pleased when I told him I had finished the online process and asked if I would come and meet him at 4 on Friday afternoon. Sure!

Now we're at today. Today I got ready and headed down to Radio Shack. I got there twenty minutes early and loitered outside until just before 4.  I confidently walked in and asked for the manager by name. "Oh. He's not here." He isn't? "No.  He went home already." Umm what? Seriously?

Okay. Deep breath. No big deal. Except the manager who was there had no idea who I was and seemed less than thrilled to have me on his hands.

He decided to proceed with the interview   He asked me what I'd been doing since I moved to New York. I told him. I explained my reason for moving and gave him a copy of my resume. 

Then things took a downward turn. He asked me what I had to offer the store. I told him I'm outgoing and friendly, I am a fast learner, good with technology, and dependable. All qualities you would expect to find in someone who works at Radio Shack. He apparently didn't like my answer because he asked me the exact same question again and as I had already answered him, I had nothing new to say. Awk-ward...

Then he asked me what my vision for Radio Shack was. I'm sorry. But it's RADIO SHACK. I wouldn't be CURING LUPUS! No, I didn't have a vision for the company. I don't even remember what I said, only that I stumbled through it. 

Last question: Do you speak any other languages? We're looking for someone who speaks Greek. Strike three. No, I don't speak any other languages. Should I just show myself out, or...?

Honestly, this was the worst interview I've had since I came here. I'm not sure I wanna work for a store where the management aren't good at communicating with each other, or, you know, actually showing up for appointments. 

On the upside, I have an interview in the Financial District on Tuesday afternoon for a better job that would be in my field. It can't be any weirder than the one I had today. 

❤️ Rebekah

No comments:

Post a Comment