Thursday, April 2, 2015

Sights & Sounds

Hi!

I feel like I ought to introduce myself, considering how long it's been since I posted anything here. 

"I'm Rebekah. Welcome to my blog."


In all honesty, I really miss blogging. I could give you loads of reasons/excuses. But I won't. I will only ask your forgiveness, kind reader. Thank you ❤️

Today was a gorgeous day. I sat outside during my lunch hour. The air still has a chill to it, but the sun was out today. The kind of sun that soaks your skin and makes you feel warm all over. Almost like it's asking for your forgiveness for staying away so long and leaving you cold and grey. I am fairly reasonable, so I will consider it.

The river is alive today. I feel like alive is the only word that truly captures the essence of the river as it is. It sparkles with sunlight. It churns and chops as barges crawl past with their cargoes and boats go by brimming with passengers (read tourists). There is constant movement. The Brooklyn Bridge has its own glitter. Cars the size of my pinky nail trek across, going to and from Brooklyn. Glinting in the sun. From my office, later in the day, the Manhattan Bridge has a similar effect when the trains race below. A long streak of silver. 



The smells of this city are both new and familiar. It seems to be a heady combination of pizza, coffee, and street meat. And sometimes garbage. It all blends together to produce a scent that IS New York. Sometimes that's good. And sometimes that's bad. That's just the truth. 

As I sat by the river, watching the water and the tourists move past me with equal fluidity, I just enjoyed the moment. I let it wash over me like the sun and just let myself appreciate the unique beauty of this city and the beautiful gift of life and thanking God for allowing me to be a part of it. 











2 comments:

  1. Great bit of prose! You make me want to visit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know... Me and you? Together in New York? It'd be like Lucy and Ethel. Hahaha It would be so fun!! :) Miss you xoxo

      Delete